Exploring Indigo Dyeing and Shibori with Aaron Head
Saturday, March 16
10am-3pm (Don’t forget to bring a lunch!)
Cost: $100-all materials provided
Join Aaron Head, Nashville-based visual artist, for an exploration of Indigo and Shibori.
Participants will learn basics of dyeing with an organic indigo vat, along with various approaches to
shibori dyeing. We will focus on Itajime (shape resist) and Kumo (twist resist) techniques, as well as more
experimental techniques. Materials will be provided, and participants are highly encouraged to bring their
own small, natural fiber items to dye if time allows. Students will leave with dyed cotton fabric, dyed goods
from home,and a handout detailing the dye process.
• Learn to dye natural fiber goods in a plant derived indigo vat.
• Learn basics of Itajime (shape resist) and Kumo (twist resist) shibori dyeing, and other shibori techniques.
• A yard of cotton will be provided for experimentation.
• Students are highly encouraged to bring small goods to dye. Cellulose fibers (cotton, linen, rayon, ramie)
accept the color the best. Vintage linens, pillow cases, dishtowels and clothing are all perfect for this. Pre-wash in hot water before the workshop.
• Wear old clothing and shoes that can be stained. The dye will splash. Please bring a pair of rubber dish washing gloves to wear!
*Your emailed receipt is your confirmation for the class. If the class does not make, students who have already signed up will be contacted.*
Class will take place at the Shelby County Arts Council-104 Mildred St., Columbiana